I always thought that lunch meat is super processed and packed full with sodium. Why not omit the lunch meat and enjoy a sandwich packed full of all the good stuff: Veggies! If the sandwich tastes just as good (or better), why eat unnecessary sodium when you don’t have to?
- 4 slices of sourdough or ciabatta bread
- 1 sliced roma tomato
- 4 thin slices of eggplant
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1/2 Avocado
- Red onion
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic salt, pepper and Italian seasoning
- Slice up all of the veggies
- Sprinkle one slice of bread with the shredded mozzarella cheese, then stick both slices into the toaster oven (the cheese should get all melty and hot).
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil on both sides and season them with garlic salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste.
- Either grill the eggplant and tomato slices on a barbecue if you have one handy or grill them in a non-stick pan on the stovetop. Both are delicious.
- Take the toasted bread (with the one with cheese on the bottom) and stack up your veggies.
- Put a little extra Italian seasoning, pepper, and salt if you feel so inclined to.
And there you have it. Veggie sandwich done in like 10 minutes. I make these often, but by using whatever veggies I have on hand at the time.
Try using zuchini or yellow squash, or grill the onions for a different flavor, use feta or brie cheese, or even mushrooms!