All Recipes, Mains, Soup, Vegetarian

Everything Green Soup

January 21, 2011
Green Soup

Parsnips are my newly discovered vegetable. I never knew what a parsnip was until recently when I decided to try something different and make a hearty butternut squash soup. They are pretty tasty. There is nothing better than making soup in the winter. This time, I went to the produce market and bought a bunch of veggies (parsnips included), threw them in a pot and made up this super healthy green soup! Honestly I don’t think there is a healthier soup!

I call it…

Everything Green Soup

Ingredients:

• 1 large broccoli stalk (stem included)
  • 2 large parsnips
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 Tbs of fresh diced ginger (add more or less- depending if you really dig the flavor of ginger- it definitely stands out in this soup)
  • Half of a yellow onion
  • Large handful of fresh parsley
  • Large handful of fresh spinach
  • A few fresh basil leaves
  • Salt and pepper (I used white pepper)
  • Dash of curry powder
  • Olive oil

To Do:
Chop up the garlic, onions and ginger and saute in a large pot in a dash of olive oil.

Meanwhile, chop up everything else above into small pieces.

When the onions are cooked and translucent, add all of the other veggies to the pot. Add enough water to just barely cover the veggies.

Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes on a low-ish flame.

When everything is done, pour the contents into a blender, food processor, or just blend it with one of those fancy hand blenders. Blend until smooth and no chunks remain. Add salt, pepper, and curry powder to taste.

I added a lot of white pepper to mine which made it a little spicy. I think this soup could be good over some rice too, although I just ate mine plain. Yum yum yum!

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Maggie January 24, 2011 at 7:48 am

This looks delish!!! You might consider sharing it further on the Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decandent Blog Hop http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/decidedly-healthy-or-horridly-decadent-blog-hop/ It’s a Saturday party but open each week until noon-ish Mondays.
    Thanks!

• Reply kranbox January 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Wow that’s a great idea! I will see you there on Saturday! :)

• Reply maeats January 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

Sounds great and very healthy. I also love soup in the winter. I’ll try this one as soon as possible. I like the idea of ginger and the dash of curry. YUM!

• Reply thewonderingchef January 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

parsnipns are good, basically in almost anything, the soup looks really nice:)

• Reply agirlandhercarrot January 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Congrats on your Featured recipe! This is SO my style! GREEN = health! I’ll have to give it a try! I make a Green Goddess Asparagus soup. Yours looks like a really nice texture too, not too watery, creamy and chunky all in one bowl of goodness!

• Reply Carolyn January 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Made this soup tonight–lovely! Subbed cilantro for parsley, dried basil for fresh, used a little stock along with the water, and added a touch of vinegar and smoked paprika at the end. I’ll definitely make it again. Thanks. :) (PS: got the link via a PCC post on Facebook)

• Reply rsmacaalay January 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Wow what a great idea, That look yummy as well

Raymund

• Reply New Year, New Resolutions! (And 10 healthy recipes) « Cooking Healthy for Two, A Food Blog December 31, 2011 at 12:33 pm

[…] Everything Green Soup. A Super healthy detox soup filled with so many vitamins, your body will be happy. Ingredients include: Broccoli, spinach,  garlic, parsnips, onion, ginger and more! […]

• Reply kaleandcocoa February 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I stumbled upon your blog and I’m in love. This recipe is delicious!