This soup was my very first attempt ever of making Thai food. I decided that since I always cooked the same, Italian style food, the time had come to try something new. I was a little nervous of course, especially since my boyfriend started the day off by saying how he hates curry. Well I figured if he likes it or not I was going to cook the soup. He ended up loving it and now loves anything I make with curry powder in it. Mm Hm!
Thai Chicken and Coconut Soup
- olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks (one word: kitchen scissors- just got some- don’t know how I ever got through cutting chicken before)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (I used the low fat kind)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about half a lime)
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Red chile pepper flakes- if you like the heat
Heat the olive oil in a medium sized soup pot over medium heat.
Cook the chicken in the oil, season lightly with salt and pepper.
Remove chicken and set aside.
Sauté the onion until tender.
Return the chicken to the pot with the onions.
Add the ginger and cook for about 1 more minute.
Then add chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, bell pepper, and jalapeno.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Add the finely chopped cilantro and simmer an additional 3 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with cilantro and coconut shavings as a garnish
Hope you try this and enjoy it as much as we did! This makes approximately 4-5 servings. I had some of the broth from the soup leftover and I put it over some jasmine rice the next day for lunch. That was really good too.
This is not my own creation- I adapted it and made it my own after being inspired from Erica Lea.