All Recipes, Dessert, Entertaining

Poached Pears

March 1, 2011
Poached Pear

This is my first dessert post! I am not too big on making sweets, but when it comes to eating dessert, it happens to be one of my weaknesses. Do you notice there are so many dessert recipes all over the web? Looking at the pictures just makes me want to eat more sugar all the time!! What is a person to do?! Well this recipe is a dessert, but it involves fruit and almond milk ice cream, so you don’t have to be too guilty when you eat it.

This recipe makes a warm pear that melts in your mouth, infused with flavors of wine and cinnamon, that is best served with a cold compliment- vanilla ice cream!

So I once saw a poached pear pictured in a magazine ad for a fancy cruise line. I was like, “What can this be? A poached pear? This cruise line MUST be fancy!” I thought of it as a ‘high-class’ food, what ever that means, and it would be a rare occasion if I ever got the chance to try one.

WELL, as it turns out, I found that it isn’t hard to make at all! It’s really easy, and you can really impress your friends or significant other if you served this for dessert. I chose to impress both as you will see my good friend and my significant other enjoying this decadent dessert in the pictures below!

Poached Pear

Ingredients:

• 4 Ripe Pears (I only made 3, but the ingredients below can be used to make 4)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Cups Red Wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 Cinnamon sticks (plus 1 more to freshly grate on the finished food)
  • Vanilla ice cream
  • (I tried Almond milk ice cream for the first time today and it was pretty gooood!)

To Do:

• Pour the wine, water, sugar, and cinnamon sticks into a pot, mix well, and start heating it up on a medium flame.
  • Peel your pears then place them carefully into the boiling wine mixture.
  • Cover and let the pears boil for about 20 minutes.
  • The pears won’t be fully submerged in the liquid, so make sure to turn them every 5 minutes or so using a soft plastic spoon (so you don’t damage the look of the pear)
  • When the pears are done and hold a nice red color, remove from the pot, put them on a plate or in a bowl to cool for a few minutes.

These pears are best served warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, with fresh ground cinnamon on top.

Tip: Slice off a small part of the bottom, so the pear sits upright in the serving plate.

My boyfriend

Ashley

Me

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

• Reply Katrina Tauchen March 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

This looks amazing! And you’re so right; poached pears do seem way fancy. :)

• Reply alyssaarmstrongphotography March 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Ian loves pears…I gotta make this!

• Reply Kankana March 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm

you know what ? I am not much of a sweet tooth person too .. but you are right about how you crave for sweets after blog hopping for sometime .. all those baking .. cakes .. etc etc .. how can you not get tempted .. right !!
    I love sweet dish with fruit and yours is in my wish lift .. i have to make it :)

• Reply Stephanie March 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

I have always wanted to try this! Thanks for the post!

• Reply New Year, New Resolutions! (And 10 healthy recipes) « Cooking Healthy for Two, A Food Blog December 31, 2011 at 12:33 pm

[…] Poached Pears. If you are craving something sweet, it’s okay to splurge sometimes. Especially if it involves a heathly pear! Ingredients include: Pears, red wine, sugar and almond milk ice cream.   […]

• Reply Slow-Cooked Spiced Pears « Cooking Healthy for Two April 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm

[…] I will go for a healthier option that includes fruit such as a Greek yogurt fruit parfait, a poached pear or this recipe for slow-cooked spiced […]

• Reply drink recipes July 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

I was suggested this website by way of my cousin.
    I am now not sure whether or not this submit is
    written via him as nobody else recognize such unique approximately my trouble.
    You are amazing! Thank you!

• Reply togo bags April 15, 2014 at 9:47 am

Wonderful post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?

I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little
    bit more. Thanks!

• Reply Kelley June 18, 2014 at 11:01 pm

This is really interesting, You’re a very professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to in quest of extra
    of your great post. Additionally, I have shared your site in my social networks