So I figured I’d stay on the Asian theme this week and give you my recipe for some super delicious fried rice! This can be make with or without chicken. I actually made this recipe by watching the chefs cook at the restaurant Benihana. It’s a really cool place! They cook the food you order right in front of you, all while flipping and spinning their spatulas, making volcanoes out of onions and tossing the eggs into their hats! So much fun!
Anyway, they make fried rice and it tastes SO good- so while watching, I secretly took mental notes and made it for myself at home. Yup, it turned out almost the same! You really have to make this-
You will thank me later
Chicken Fried Rice
- About 4 cups of cooked rice – brown or white (2 cups dried)
- Soy sauce
- Butter (I don’t usually keep butter in my house- olive oil works just as good- and is’s healthier)
- 3-4 Cloves of garlic
- Celery seed
- Green Onions, chopped
- 1/2 of a large carrot
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Boneless skinless chicken breast
- (Optional) frozen peas- It’s pictured above, but it’s good with or without them
- Start by cooking your rice- I estimate using 4 cups of cooked rice will give you enough for leftovers.
- Saute the chicken in a pan. When it’s done, chop it into very small pieces, set aside for later.
- Scramble the two eggs, chop that up into small pieces and set aside for later.
- Mince the garlic cloves and chop up the carrot into really small pieces. You guessed it, set both aside for later too.
Now the magic happens…
- Start with the biggest skillet you have and melt some butter in it- I’d say about 1-2 tablespoons.
- Saute the minced garlic and carrots in the butter for about a minute.
- Add the rice to the pan with the butter and garlic and toss around. Let it “fry” for a few minutes at a medium heat.
- Add the soy sauce- I like to throw a little in, stir, add some more… just add enough to turn all the rice that nice brown color.
- Add your desired amount of fresh ground pepper, celery seed, and parsley.
- Keep stirring every so often- it should smell really good by now.
- Lastly stir in the chopped egg, chicken, and green onion.
- Serve immediately. You can even throw the bowl in the air a few times before you serve it to make it more fun- like the fancy chefs do. Just be prepared to do some cleaning.