Mushrooms, garlic, onions, cheese – oh my! These stuffed peppers are sure tasty! I made these babies the other night and invited some friends over for dinner to help me eat them. It was a glorious night of stuffed peppers, wine, and Hot-Tub Time Machine (which was a very ridiculous, yet entertaining movie).
This recipe takes a little more time than your average quick meal, but the end result is WORTH it for sure. I think it took me around an hour and a half to prepare everything. It’s a great vegetarian main course!
Recipe adapted from a cookbook called, “320 Italian Recipes”
- 4 medium to large peppers (either red, green or yellow)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Start by cooking your rice, either in a rice cooker (thank you Brother, I love mine) or in a big pot, according to the package instructions.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pan, saute the onion in olive oil until soft, then add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tops of the peppers off and scoop out the seeds and white membranes.
- Put the cooked rice in a large bowl and add the sauted onion mixture, parsley, cubed mozzarella cheese and most of the parmesan cheese (save a little to top each pepper at the end).
- Stir and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Place the empty peppers in a baking pan, add some water to the bottom (enough to cover the bottom).
- Fill those suckas up with your rice mixture, them sprinkle the tops with the rest of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes and then enjoy with a knife and fork and maybe even a little tomato sauce on the side!