Can I just say that soups are one of my favorite things to eat!? Especially the thick and chunky kind that I can use an immersion blender to make it all smooth and hearty. I have only made a handful of soups so far but the different flavor combinations are just so amazing each time. I want to experiment with many more, but I like to eat them in the cold and the weather is starting to get too warm. I may just have to wait until next winter…
I did make a soup last week using red lentils. This one is very comforting, delicious and filling! I ate a giant bowl of it because it was so good and regretted it later as I lay on the couch in my over-stuffed food coma. Totally worth it though.
I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, A Couple Cooks. They always have good recipes, amazing pictures and even cooking videos. I am grateful that they shared this this recipe and now I can share it with you.
Red Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Toasted pepitas (or even toasted almonds)
- 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro
- Chop the onion, carrots and dice the 4 cloves of garlic.
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and toss in the onion, garlic, and carrots. Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir in the seasonings: cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add the broth and lentils. Simmer until the lentils are soft, which should be about 25 minutes.
- When the soup is done, puree it using an immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Serve the soup with a few toasted pepitas, a squeeze of lemon juice and the best part: chopped fresh cilantro.
Here’s a tip: If you have the time to soak the lentils in water for a couple hours before cooking, you will only have to simmer the lentils in the soup for about 10 minutes (versus the 25).