All Recipes, Breakfast, Paleo, Super Easy

Acorn Squash Paleo “Oatmeal”

April 24, 2012
paleo oatmeal - HealthyforTwo

I’m always on the look out for Paleo recipes (It’s basically a meat and plant diet with all natural foods- like the cavemen used to eat). I do not follow a strict Paleo diet, but I love the whole idea of substituting out regular carb-loaded pasta, breads or oats with more vegetables and fruits.  I came across this idea for acorn squash as an alternative to oatmeal and had to try it. I was a little skeptical at first, as you may be right now, but I made it, took the first bite and BAM! It tasted just like oatmeal!

I normally make oatmeal on the stove-top with milk, oats, honey and maybe a little cinnamon (I always use milk- oatmeal made with water is just gross). This new “oatmeal” completely blew me away. You get the normal “comfort” feeling from regular oatmeal, you get the warm cinnamon flavor, and it even tasted like it was made with milk… don’t ask me how- it just tasted that way to me. This “oatmeal” is low-carb, lactose-free, paleo, and practically vegan!

You may be thinking: Squash won’t fill me up like oatmeal does in the morning and I’ll be too hungry before lunch- WRONG! This was surprisingly filling! I tired to eat the whole thing myself (sorry boyfriend), but I just couldn’t.

Acorn Squash Paleo “Oatmeal”

Serves two

Ingredients:

• 1 Acorn squash
  • 2 Tablespoons of almond butter
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons of ground flax seeds
  • A drizzle of honey- about 1/2 of a tablespoon

To Do:

• Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and roast it, face down, in the oven for about 1 and 1/2 hours (I did this the night before, so my roasted squash was ready to go the next morning for breakfast).
  • Mash up the squash in a medium sized bowl and mix in the almond butter, cinnamon, flax and honey.
  • Divide it in half, one for you, one for someone else, and be amazed at the taste! This goes great with breakfast with a side of eggs and sausage, or as a post-workout snack.

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply ~jenniferlynn June 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Hi! What temperature would you roast this at? Gonna try it tonight! :)

• Reply Kranbox June 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I usually roast it at 350 f. Enjoy!

• Reply ~jenniferlynn June 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Thanks! This recipe scares me cause I love oatmeal, but not too sure about subbing it with a veggie! I’ll let you know how it turns out!

• Reply ~jenniferlynn June 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Ehh… this looked and smelled yummy.. but I think I like oatmeal too much to have high expectations for this. I wasn’t really a fan. :(
        It was worth a try though! Guess I need to continue on my quest for hidden-veggie-meals! :)

• Reply Kranbox June 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Aw man! Well at least you tried it out. I really like it made with squash but nothing beats good ol’ classic oatmeal!

I just had a thought- what if you added steamed carrots to regular oatmeal? It’ll be kind of like carrot cake and you get a serving of veggies for breakfast.. Hmmmm Not sure how that will turn out but I may try it. 😉

• Reply Ranee Anibal February 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

This is just amazing. I wish I could do the same.

• Reply kate October 4, 2013 at 7:24 am

Sounds delish – can’t wait to try. I wanna add some coconut milk in the mix since I like my “oatmeal” a lil runny. And I’ll definitely be sprinkling some toasted pecans on top!

• Reply Kranbox October 8, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yum! That sounds good!

• Reply Karen October 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I loved oatmeal (in the before times) and have been missing it. I am a bit averse to the texture of mushy squash, but I added some diced apples and raisins to the mix and it was wonderful! Thank you for this recipe – it’s great to have a “comfort” breakfast again!

• Reply Kranbox October 8, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Nice! I love throwing raisins and nuts in sometimes as well. I will definitely try apple slices too, that sounds delicious!