Growing up, this chicken sandwich was the thrill of summertime. My mom would plan meals in advance for the week (as I do now…) and when she would announce that we were having barbecue lemon chicken sandwiches, my brother and I would would be so happy and impatiently wait for the day of delicious gorging.
Now I make it at home, whenever I want! It’s fairly simple to make- it requires marinating the chicken, grilling it, and cutting up the veggies for the sandwich. Easy peasy. And the taste is Bombdotcom. I would take this sandwich ANY day over a restaurant made chicken burger.
This blog post is brought to you from the poolside! The weather is finally starting to get warm and man am I excited! Today is exceptionally amazing and here’s why: I started my day sitting on the porch with a fresh cup of coffee, watching the birds and lizards, then my boyfriend and I hopped in the pool where I was able to finally put my brand spanking new swim suit to use. Later, we grilled these amazing chicken sandwiches and here I am now, writing this post out by the pool again working on my tan. Later today I am going to make cupcakes for my friend’s birthday then head to LA to hear Sri Sri Ravi Shanker speak then finish the night off dancing! Wow! I love Saturdays! Now on with the recipe:
Grilled Lemon Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lemons
- 1 Tomato
- Sliced onion
- Mozzarella (I used fresh mozzarella but the regular kind works too)
- 1 Avocado
- Bread for the sandwiches: ciabatta or wheat rolls are nice
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- About 2 hours in advance, marinate the chicken breasts in the juice from the 2 lemons, the zest from one of the peels, and fresh ground pepper.
- Once you’re ready to grill, pop the chicken on the barbecue and cook until it’s no longer pink on the inside, turning occasionally – about 20 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, prep the other components of the sandwich: slice the tomato, avocado, onion and cheese.
- For the bread, brush each side with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place these on the grill to toast when the chicken is just about done.
- Build your sandwich with the chicken, cheese, tomato slices, spinach and avocado on the bread. (I even added a little bit of fresh cilantro to mine!)
- Cut the sandwich in half (because it’s pretty big) and enjoy! This filled me up for a while so bring your appetite!