Sometimes you just feel like dessert. I’ve decided that if I feel like dessert, I’m not going to go for the hot fudge sundae or the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich. Those choices are usually followed by food comas, sugar crash, and regret. Instead, I will go for a healthier option that includes fruit such as a Greek yogurt fruit parfait, a poached pear or this recipe for slow-cooked spiced pears.
I saw this recipe on 52 Kitchen Adventures blog and I just had to create my own! These pears are really yummy and while they were cooking, my whole house smelled like Christmas! The spices and flavor of these pears definitely make this recipe seem appropriate for a Fall/Winter sort of dessert… But hey! Who makes these rules anyway? Besides, you only have to use the Crock Pot to make these so you save yourself from the heat of the oven making your house hot.
Keep reading for the recipe and an update on my workout goals below.
Slow-Cooked Spiced Pears
- 2 pears
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A handful of chopped walnuts
- A handful of raisins
- Cut the two pears in half and remove the stem and seeds. Make sure to create a little “cup” in the middle to hold the nuts and raisins.
- Place pear halves in slow cooker, face up.
- Pour the water in around the pears and place cinnamon stick in the water.
- Sprinkle the sugar, allspice and nutmeg over the pears and water.
- Place chopped walnuts and raisins into the center of the pears.
- Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 3 hours
- Serve by placing the pears on a plate and drizzling some of the leftover liquid over the top. These would be fantastic with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but I skipped it this time.
Yum! I hope you enjoy!
Now it’s time for a little update on myself:
You may remember that I mentioned that I wanted to get in tip-top shape this year. Work out regularly, eat healthy… the whole thing. Well I must say that I have been regularly working out and never really slacked off! I have made myself go to the gym enough times that it is now a habit. I’ve done this all on my own too, no workout buddy for me, and I am proud of that. I even tried some new workouts, aside from my normal gym classes, such as aerial aerobic (check out the pic below) and I even did my first 5K and I signed up for two more!
I am still the same though! No change in weight, clothing size, no rippling muscles …. nothin. I eat super healthy already, so I can’t really do a drastic change (like quit drinking soda or something) to aid in shedding pounds. I do feel stronger though and I notice that my stamina has greatly improved. I am no where near where I want to be so now it’s time to really kick it into gear!
So I just joined Crossfit and my first class is later today! Crossfit, to my understanding, is a set of high-intensity boot-camp style workout classes. My boyfriend’s brother has been in Crossfit for about a year and he got buff. So I’ll let you know how it goes.