Don’t let this title scare you if you’re not vegan. This soup is amazing! This, in my opinion, is the greatest discovery of all time when it comes to healthy soups: You can make a creamy soup without the cream but with cashews instead! I saw this recipe while flipping through VegNews magazine and I couldn’t believe it till I tried it. And baby, I’m a believer!
I usually will turn away from a soup if it involves the words “cream of”. These words usually mean full of fat and full of unwanted calories. When I eat vegetable soup, I want it to be hearty, healthy, comforting, light, and tasty – this cream of broccoli is all of the above.
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Adapted from VegNews
- 1 Cup raw cashews
- 2 Quarts vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Yellow onion
- Half a cauliflower
- 2-3 Medium sized broccoli stalks
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 2 Teaspoons marjoram
- 1 Teaspoons salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Chop the onion, cauliflower and broccoli into medium sized pieces. Mince the garlic.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot and saute the veggies and marjoram in it for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind the cashews in a blender or food processor until it turns into a powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth to the cashew powder and blend into a milky paste.
- Add the rest of the veggie broth to the pot with the veggies along with the cashew cream, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes – until all the vegetable are soft.
- Use an immersion blender (Or regular blender in sections) to blend the soup until there are no longer any chunky pieces.
- Enjoy the masterpiece you have created.