Barbecue season is here baby yeah! We love outdoor cooking and sitting outside as much as we can on the weekends (it sure beats being cooped up in an office the other five days a week). I love to eat store-bought chicken apple sausages so I thought that the same concept could be used for a cheeseburger- and oh my is it delicious!
So get your “Kiss-the-Cook” aprons, lighter fluid and spatulas ready because this apple turkey burger is definitely a crowd-pleaser!
Turkey Apple Burgers
- About a half pound of ground turkey (or ground chicken)
- 1 tablespoon of Apple butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (save some onion for topping)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped red apple (save the rest of the apple for the topping)
- 1 tablespoon Minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup Bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- A dash of salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Burger buns (I used onion bread in the pictured burger)
- Heat your grill to a medium-high heat
- Combine turkey, bread crumbs, apple butter, onion, apple, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Using your hands, mix everything together and form into two patties.
- Grill burgers for about 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes (Make sure your grill is non-stick or just put a little oil on it). They are done when there is no-longer pink on the inside.
- Toast the burger buns on the grill and top the burger with your choice of condiments. I used grilled red onions, thinly sliced red apple, spinach, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and a little barbecue sauce.
I must admit- with all this talk about barbecues… I ended up having to make these burgers on the stove top! We had all intentions of making this an outdoor barbecue day… we had everything prepped and ready to plop on the grill, only to realize that we were out of propane. DOH! It was very tasty but I know it would be better on the grill for sure.
We still enjoyed our meal outside in the beautiful sunshine. I really appreciate living in Southern California because the weather is always perfect! It’s nice to take a step back sometimes and appreciate how good life is and how lucky I am to be where I am right now. I hope all of you reading this have a warm summer ahead filled with lot’s of barbecues! Especially since you now have an awesome turkey apple burger to try out! 😉