This appetizer/snack is light, healthy, and really easy to make. It’s pretty tasty too – as long as you like cottage cheese. I personally love cottage cheese, especially when it’s served with fresh pineapple or canned peaches. YUM!
This recipe is flavored with fresh dill and fresh cilantro! Fresh dill is delicious and really easy to grow at home. I bought a small $3 dill plant from Trader Joes a little while back and added it to my herb garden. Since planting it, it has tripled in size and keeps growing no matter how much is pulled off! I originally got it for making homemade dill pickles, but now that I have so much I’ve got to think of other creative ways to use it.
I like this recipe because it’s a good alternative for a party snack – if you or your guests want to munch but aren’t looking to eat so many potato chips and sweets.
Cucumber Dill Boats
Makes 6 pieces. Double it to serve more people.
- 1 cup cottage cheese (I used non-fat cottage cheese but it was a little more watery that I prefer so I recommend using full or 2% cottage cheese for this recipe)
- 1 large cucumber
- A handful of fresh dill (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- A handful of fresh cilantro (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chop up the fresh dill and cilantro.
- Mix the cottage cheese, herbs, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Peel the cucumber and cut it into 3 equal pieces.
- Cut those 3 pieces down the middle and scoop out and discard the seeds, so it creates a “boat” shape.
- Spoon the cottage cheese mixture into the cucumber boats and serve chilled.