It’s time for another ultimate summer burger recipe (and there’s plenty more to come)! I got the idea for this blue cheese stuffed burger from one of my friends, Greg. I watched him stuff beef burgers with grilled onions and feta cheese the last time we visited. It was so delicious and just looked so amazing that I had to try it myself (with ground turkey as my healthy alternative meat of choice… of course).
Making stuffed burgers is not as complicated as it may seem… at least I thought it seemed complicated. Once I watched my friend make them, I realized it’s as simple as making two thin meat patties (rather than one large), adding the filling and then putting the two patties together! Viola! Fancy stuffed burgers!
I stuffed my turkey burgers with blue cheese and onions, my friend used feta cheese… just think of all of the other possibilities you can conjure up! You could use mozzarella cheese, grilled mushrooms, add some fresh basil… it’s time to get creative folks!
I had all of the burgers prepped and ready to go, only to find out that our gas was out on our barbecue. Again!? I literally just got a new one about a month ago. I think we left it on at my boyfriend’s birthday party or something. Anyway, we hopped in the car and headed to good ol’ Walmart to get another one. After a few parking lot frustrations, waiting 15 minutes for someone to open the propane tank cage, and another long line at the cash register, we eventually were able to cook the burgers! It was worth the wait.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Turkey Burgers
- Half pound of lean ground turkey
- Half of a yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons blue cheese
- 1 Clove garlic
- Pepper, garlic salt to season the patties
- Burger buns and your favorite toppings
- Dice the onion and garlic clove and saute in a little olive oil until browned.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal parts and shape into 4 thin patties.
- (Turkey can be kind of sticky to work with, just be patient while shaping it or add a little bit of bread crumbs if it’s too sticky).
- On 2 of the turkey patties, spoon equal parts of cheese and onion mixture into the middle.
- Take the other turkey patties and lay it on top of the ones with the filling. Shape each of them into one large patty, so there the filling has no escape!
- Carefully grill the burgers on the BBQ or by stove top until fully cooked, about 15-20 minutes (I cut one a little, just to make sure).