With Halloween just around the corner, I think it’s a perfect time to share my favorite Halloween recipe with you! I made these zombie intestines last year for a Halloween party and it was a hit! It grossed out most people and those brave enough to eat it, thought it was delicious. I stuffed these guts with Nutella, strawberries and bananas!
I have to tell you about what I did yesterday! A couple friends and I participated in the “Run for Your Lives” Zombie Run 5k! This is not a 5K where you you dress up like zombies, oh no, at this place, there are other people dressed like zombies and they chase you! It was insane! I would turn a corner and there were 8 zombies or so, lined up and moaning, waiting to grab the flags tied around my waist. I don’t remember the last time I ran so fast (and my legs sure feel it today).
Every once in a while there were breaks where there were no zombies in sight where I could catch my breath. I ended up “surviving” with one flag left at the end, but it’s only because a zombie who stole my last flag from behind my back as I was resting, felt bad and gave it back. This makes me worry… if there were really a zombie apocalypse I would surely die. You really have to be in tip-top shape to escape the hands of the undead. At least I got a medal:
Instructions with pictures below the recipe
- 1 Package of frozen puff pastry (17 oz)
- 2 Cups sliced strawberries
- 3 bananas
- About 1/2 cup Nutella
- Red food coloring
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Defrost the puff pastry right before you plan to bake.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop up the fruit.
- Divide the puff pastry into 6 even strips. Start with one and spread it our thin like pictured below. If you have a lot of counter space, you can stick all the strips together to create one loooong piece of dough.
- Spread some Nutella along the middle first, then add in the fruit as the filling. Don’t overfill, you need to be able to seal the seams closed.
- Next, use your fingers to seal the sides together to create the intestine.
- Spray a baking pan with non-stick oil and lay the intestine, seam side down, into the pan. Arrange it in a random way so it look like guts. I had to do one strip at a time because I didn’t have enough counter space, so I just sealed each strip at both ends and laid them down all together in the pan.
- Take the red food coloring and using a paint brush, color in areas between the intestines so it looks like blood.
- Brush the entire pastry with the beaten egg then pop it in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top looks nice and brown.
- Let it cool and serve to your hungry zombie friends