If you are looking for a sweet yet healthy dessert idea, this is it. These little beautiful nuggets are naturally sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan, and Paleo-friendly! What more can you ask for in a dessert? Don’t let the idea of this being “healthy” scare you, they are so delicious and satisfy any craving you have for sweets.
I usually make these in the shape of little balls but in honor of the Superbowl tomorrow, I decided to make them in the shape of footballs! I figured there are going to be a ton of chips and greasy snacks on the food table tomorrow, and these little footballs will be my go-to snack. Not only are they great for a party, but they are packed with energy and are great as a snack out on the road or before a workout.
This recipe will be demonstrated LIVE on a Google+ hangout today, if you missed it you can check it out here.
I have seen variations of this recipe all over the internet, so thanks to whomever came up with the original idea, this recipe is AMAZING.
Chocolate Almond Date Truffles
Makes about 20 truffles
- 20 Medjool dates, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup creamy, unsalted almond butter
- 1/3 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 Cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup almond meal
- Place the seeded dates into a food processor along with the vanilla extract and almond butter. Pulse for a few seconds until it becomes a thick paste.
- Next add the shredded coconut, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt and pulse until the mixture is a dark brown paste.
- Grab a tablespoon size of the mixture in your hands and shape into balls (or footballs, in this case). If the mixture is too dry, try adding a splash or water.
- Put the almond meal on a small plate and roll the ball you have formed in it. Repeat with the rest of the mixture until you have about 20 truffles. (You can buy the almond meal or make your own by shredding up some raw almonds in your food processor).
- Eat them right away or keep the refrigerated and eat them later. I promise you, it will be hard to eat just one!