I’m still here and I still cook, I swear! Time sure catches up with you when you’re busy. Eventually you look back and realize it’s been over a month since you’ve shared a recipe! …Disgraceful!
Easy recipes have been the recurring theme of my life recently. Sometimes it’s better to spend less time cooking and more time doing the (other) important things. This super easy recipe for eggplant parmesan is a perfect meal for a person with a busy life, who doesn’t want to give up a healthy lifestyle.
In this recipe, I don’t fry the eggplant and I don’t dip them in breadcrumbs… They are baked “naked” with sauce and cheese… and they are still pretty darn good! To be honest, I attempted to pan fry a few pieces of eggplant and all they did was quickly soak up my almost-empty bottle of olive oil… I couldn’t spare anymore so I decided to just throw them in the oven as-is. The eggplant turned out really good! So good, that I decided to share this recipe with you!
- 1 Eggplant
- 1 Jar of tomato sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Half of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- Handful of mushrooms, chopped
- Pepper, salt, basil
- Olive oil
I love taking a plain jar of tomato sauce and sprucing it up a bit with garlic and veggies. It’s a great way to make pre-made sauce your own. I used mushrooms, garlic, basil and onions, but you can really throw anything in there.. like peppers, broccoli or squash!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop up the veggies and garlic and saute them in a saucepan with a little olive oil until soft.
- Stir in the jar of sauce to the sauteed veggies. Also add in the salt, pepper and basil (to taste). Stir, lower the heat to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the eggplant. I like to slice it in half, then place it upright on my cutting board as I cut off the skin of both halves. Then slice the eggplant into discs.
- Spray a baking pan/casserole dish with a little olive oil and lay the eggplant pieces in the pan, covering the bottom.
- Scoop and pour the sauce on top the eggplant pieces. Sprinkle with parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
Enjoy this with a big salad and a side of pasta.