This is a recipe that seemed to be all the craze on Pinterest not too long ago. Who can resist rolled up grilled zucchini with goat cheese in the middle? I even posted a recipe it about long, long ago. This light appetizer is perfect for serving to friends or even just for yourself – for that time when dinner is taking forever to cook and you need something to snack on.
Like I mentioned above, I have posted a zucchini roll up recipe before. That recipe only calls for goat cheese and a few seasonings. I decided to kick it up a notch this time and add some homemade pesto. It was delicious, I tell you! The best way to make the zucchini is on a grill. We currently don’t have an outdoor grill so I used the next best thing – my cast iron Le Creuset stovetop grill. Even though I could only cook four pieces at a time, it worked just as well.
Zucchini Roll Ups with Pesto and Goat Cheese
- Zucchinis: 1 makes about 6-8 roll ups, so make as many as you need
- Goat cheese
- Homemade pesto (pesto recipe here)
- Salt and pepper
- Mandolin slicer – with it, I was able to make the strips a thin and uniform size. Without one, you can just carefully slice the zucchini with a sharp knife.
- An outdoor grill or stovetop grill
- To slice the zucchini using a mandolin slicer, cut the ends off of the zucchini, set the slicer to “3” and carefully run the zucchini, long-ways, down the slicer. After a couple of slices, switch sides of the zucchini so you start the slice the other way. This helps to keep the cuts as even as possible.
- Spray each piece with a little olive oil and grill on both side until soft and you can see grill marks.
- Next, lay out the cooked pieces and using a spoon, spread the goat cheese, then pesto, then roll it up. Repeat with all slices.