I made these cupcakes with in Sansa in mind. If you are a Game of Thrones fan you will know that Sansa Stark from the show loves lemon cake. This cake was so good I want to make it again and again. It’s a perfect dessert for a Game of Thromes themed party or a summer barbecue.
Sansa’s Lemon Cupcakes
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the lemon frosting:
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In another bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Slowly mix in the flour mixture, a little bit at a time. Mix until all combined.
- Grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or butter and pour the lemon cake batter into the cups. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool before adding frosting.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter in your stand mixer and slowly add in the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat well until the glaze is creamy smooth. Spread on the cupcakes and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from My Recipe Confessions